Sunday, January 22, 2006

Out in 59th place

Nine from the money, and I'm out. I had A 6 with a flop of 5 J 6 and raised to 6,000. My opponent re-raised to 20,000. With about 60,000 chips in total and a pair of 6s, I pushed all in... only to find myself called with trip 5s. I feel like I could have played the hand better if I had taken more time with it.

All in all, I really liked the way the Goldstrike tournament was run. I truly enjoy the tournaments that get all the play done about 9pm, and then leave you free to enjoy your dinner as well as the rest of your evening. It just wears on the players less.

Amy got us a very nice suite comped, and Ken Lambert was kind enough to extend our stay through the Grand tournament, so that we have a place to crash on breaks and don't have to drive back to the condo if we don't want to. It has helped me stay more rested. If we hadn't gotten the suite, I would have wanted to make the hour drive twice a day, and anything you can do to reduce stress helps exponentially during the tournament.

Many of my friends I used to hang out with here in Tunica came and supported me in the WPT tourney; and we practically had a family reunion up here the other day. Mike and Amy brought in some barbeque from The Germantown Commissary. We had so much food, we invited the WPT crew and Cardplayer magazine up to the suite. A few poker players and friends showed up as well. We had a really nice time.

So, we are going to fire another bullet (and another $10K) at the WSOP Circuit here in Tunica.

1 Comments:

Blogger - said...

Heya Hoyt,

Seeing as you are Poker Royalty, I'm not really sure if this is really your site or not.....I will assume for the moment that it is.

You don't know me, but you have 2 HUGE fans here in Indianapolis. My wife and I get superbowl crazy when you hit the final felt. And anytime I get to see Phil act the fool that I know he is.....it's all good. Without a doubt you are our poker hero. Used to be Dolly and Daniel, but you take the cake on balls to the wall play. Sorry to hear about the short day, but keep firing my friend you are bound to hit something.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home